Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Amelia writes for yesterday - 10/6/15

I knew they were up to something - up early, outside clunking around, tying things down, general havoc from my point of view. Then they started that racous, growling, vibrating thing they call an engine and we motored in circles, calibrating the compass, they said, before heading to the East River around Manhattan. These are all words to me but I've gathered that this is a high stress area for my humans. My humans even put my halter on. Dum de dum dum.

No problem for me except that annoying growling vibrating mechanism. Apparently, my male human, David, and his colleagues had done a FINE job of "timing the tides" through Hell Gate, whatever that means.

UNTIL chaos! Things sliding and falling and bouncing and wiggling and rocking. I decided to make for the door - time to leave.

But I was caught by David. Female human, Nancy, put my leash on and held me for comfort - her's of mine, who knows - saying it was a barge barging by making waves that bounced off the shores/walls of Manhattan and Roosevelt Island, whatever those nouns and adjectives represent. Okay. Just let me get some air and stay close. I got on the chart table and, even though my humans don't think I can read, I found the Hudson River and laid on it. I still needed attention and that seemed the only way to get it. After awhile I moved to the step beside Nancy's leg. She was keeping a tight grip on my leash so what could I do? Couldn't get to the bed to bury my head. It wasn't so bad, though. Sun shine, fresh (sort of, NY, you know) air, gentle rocking.

UNTIL rattle, screech, clang, rumble, screech outside the boat, overhead??? I was told it was a subway going over Brooklyn Bridge. Now does that make sense? Sub. Over. Bridge. My humans. They are incomprehensible.

Finally we made it to a mooring, something that keeps the boat in one place...sort of. It definitely does NOT stop the motion but, I'm told, we don't go anywhere when on a mooring and it is cheaper than being attached on all sides to land. That apparantly is a "slip" and my humans want to use our money differently. We still bounced when another boat went by...all through the day...all through the night. Meeoowwweeerrrrrr! My humans left for awhile and I did what cats do when left on their own - slept, ate, slept, looked around, slept. That's what my humans think I do. I'm not saying.

It was great to crawl in bed w/them. I slept across the top of Nancy's head most of the night, under the covers between my humans part of the time. Sounds as if we'll be on this mooring for a bit. Personally, I'm looking forward to earth. Stay tuned.  Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment