Sunday, March 13, 2016

3/13/16        Sunday           Boot Key/Marathon, FL


Changed the clock and got up early and went on to aft deck for some sunrise moments w/Amelia and self and the new world. What was it the Gullah women called it? "Fresh day?" Not sure I'm remembering correctly and the book is all the way in the aft cabin...about 6' away. Lovely sunrise, cool, delicious, quiet.  
Laundry - the last Marathon laundry - this morning. Then a shower. much needed in this hot, muggy weather and with our dancing last night. Phew-eeee. I'd forgotten about the communal brunch that happens every 2nd Sunday here in the marina. Didn't want to be a freeloader but David went out to see folks. He came back saying people said to come on and have some food. So...I did. Met Sage whose voice I'd heard every week with announcements on the Cruisers' Net. She's a mainstay of this boating community. Had chats with Lori, who reminds me of Cathy, of Cathy and Fred; and with Sally who works in the Marina office. Did laundry w/Libby Mills who I rather adore. She and her husband live in Burlington, VT, when not boating.People I'd like to stay in touch w/ or at least see again on the high (or low) seas....maybe ME this summer or here next winter. I keep asking people where they are going to be this winter, then realizing that this IS winter.

We came back to Grace, the boat, around 12:30 to continue work on the dinghy hoisting challenge...sort of like Freeport's Chowder Challenge - not. We tried a couple of options with angle aluminum. The structure gave way and nearly fell on me, scaring David so we've given up on the challenge until a future time. The solution(s) we used on the way will likely work heading in the other direction.

Some final photos of Marathon and Boot Key Harbor/Marina:
dinghy dock outside the bath house
Communal Garden


























chasing iguanas out of the peas and....
first harvested radish
David did some final errands and grocery run. I stayed on board and cleaned the aft deck and washed windows. He came back with a dinghy full of stuff. We loaded our bicycles on board, stored the food, had dinner of salad as it is way too hot to cook! Amelia and I lay on the floor at one point looking up at the "frogs" that Don Greico gave me a number of years ago that I'm using this week as a skylight curtain.
looking up at skylight
Amelia tries to beat the heat





David and I shared a beer when he returned, watching the sun set and just before dinner we toasted the gods and goddesses of the sea, some favorite saints, splashing rum onto the bow of the boat and into the sea in a traditional blessing of our journey north which starts tomorrow.
last Marathon sunset this trip
We'll need new rum for the next journey








So, tired. Ready, except for a couple of tasks to do in the morning. I'm in my regular leaving snit which covers my sadness about leaving and anxiety about traveling into the unknown again. My leaving snit looks like impatience. Its really fear. But....here we go.









No comments:

Post a Comment