Saturday, February 6, 2016

2/6/16     Saturday     Boot Key, FL


A lovely day in the neighborhood. Off the boat by 9:30 so I could get to yoga. Good class. Chatted with a couple from WI after class. They are quite younger than we, not the retired set but have jobs that allow them to take 2 months in the winter.

Went to the Pigeon Key Art Festival which is a fund raising event for??? Lots of music. We had some more Greek food, saw a bunch of art and talked to several folks in various non-profit environmental and animal rescue organizations. I think I'll volunteer a couple afternoons for the wild bird organization...scooping pelican poop. I can do that. I have experience cleaning feline cages at the spay/neuter clinic. The Fl Keys Community College had a tank of tiny Clown fish, think Nemo. They raise them so that the wild catch can survive...not be over-fished. They raise them then have them available for adoption for $5.00. It was a terrifically fun day and if the wind isn't blowing too much, I'll go back in and spend money...earrings and some beautiful clothing. Wind, save me from myself.

We met this lady or gent on the way in, at the shrubbery surrounding the park.
Happy Iguana about 18" long
And this blue creature is a Man a War jellyfish I mentioned a post or two previously.
washed up on the beach, about 6" long
We left the Festival which was much like a small version of the Maine Festivals of old. Some activities for children, information about environment and lots of music...no theater or dancing.

Back at the Marina for showers and to charge my computer, I spent some time with some pre-teen boys learning/watching them practice their video game skills. They were delighted to have an audience, an grey haired woman to teach. Lovely kids. David and I filled our water jugs and made it back to the boat about 2 minutes AFTER the bottom of the clouds fell out. We and both boats were pretty wet around 3:30 today. The boats are still wet but we are dry and warm. Kitty was down right annoyed that we'd been gone so long. She's hanging close and expressing her annoyance with lots of voice tonight.

Wind is picking up. Supposed to be a big blow overnight and tomorrow all day, thus, I might not make it to spend money on clothes or earrings tomorrow. I DO want to figure out how/when to volunteer and to find the library which is only a couple of blocks away. Route #1 is just out the parking lot of the marina but trying to cross that highway is treacherous. Cars whiz by and I've not yet seen a traffic light. One is reported to be about 3/4 mile north of the marina. But crossing the other day to go to a restaurant was a bit scary...and we waited a bit for traffic to sort of clear...clear as it gets.

Neighbor/friend Kelly's funeral was today. Sigh. Such a loss...to me, to our Lavers Pond community, to her son Landon and her husband Mike. What a difficult life her last 5-8 years have been. Hope her spirit is resting/recovering, getting ready to soar again.

All is well....enough. We are/I am love, loved, loving. Grateful for all that is.



No comments:

Post a Comment