Wednesday, January 3, 2018

OMG, tired, snow expected

Norfolk, VA

What an exhausting day...so far at 7:00 PM and there are still 2 mechanics in our engine room and the 3rd one (David) standing in the companionway handing tools and congratulations. David and I started the prep work around 7:30 AM. Mike the mechanic arrived around 10:30. He and David have been working since then. The "real" helper, Tim, arrived around 6:15. Hard work that seems to be going well.

All day, though, I've been a Nervous Nellie with bouts of Chilly Millie.The chilly part is obvious. "Baby, it's cold outside." And "The wind is blowing." Chill all over the east coast and frigid with gale winds in Maine this evening and tomorrow. Glad sis-in-law, Sharyl, will be at niece, Shannon's just in case power goes out which is likely.

The nervous part is also obvious - another expensive boat repair that we hope works. No guarantee. My shoulders might be up around my ears. I've been hanging out in the saloon most of the day. Reading. Writing. Sewing - I finished the other open-weave fabric shelf for the hanging closet that doesn't work as a hanging closet. Did a little dancing in the now very narrow galley aisle. The 2 barn doors that are the floor of the pilot house are now in the galley walk and take up about a 5th of the space. It's crowded. No privacy. Can't just take a nap like Amelia is doing on my lap.

There's a lot of cold air falling down the companionway steps onto my feet. Bet it would be a lot warmer if I stood up. Our new space heaters are working. Now if the marina just doesn't loose power. The propane heater is not as strong. The wind is picking up and pushing Grace a little to port. I put an extra line on, knowing that winds will be extreme during the night.

For a moment all the mechanics have left to go drill some holes into the plates that hold the engine mounts. This does not necessarily allow me to relax. They will be back and the space is still in upheaval and crowded. And there is that gapping hole in the pilot house floor. We may have to sleep in the saloon tonight just so we don't fall into the engine on our way to the head/toilet during the night.

the doors just do NOT belong in the galley aisle

Mike, upper right, and David take the forward plates out. The really big engine is hanging from a chain fall which is supported by a large wooden structure. Pretty ingenious and those ingenious supports for heavy items ALWAY make me nervous, thus, continuing Nervous Nellie.

I'm going to complete the spaghetti prep. Getting hungry and food will help tiredness.

Looking forward to an uninterrupted sleep with my warm companions. after food. Hoping all my beloveds and even those I don't know survive the coming storm in warmth and comfort.

P.S. Food did help. Mechanics left around 9:45 PM and the doors are back in the floor.







No comments:

Post a Comment