Monday, January 15, 2018

inch by inch

Atlantic Basin Marina, VA

Just past the Great Bridge lock. Somehow locks are always interesting and with friendly personnel. That has been my experience, at least. And, for some reason that evades me big time, I like the phrase they use, "locked in", before they change the water level.

Aside from the locking experience, this has been a terrifically difficult day, in spite of the fact that we finally got out of Norfolk.

We were up early, calling the bridge to make sure it was still scheduled to open. Yes. Off we go. Lovely morning but brisk. Sunny. Easy ride the mile to the bridge...to wait. We arrived early and were patient until 15 min past scheduled opening. Call. Oh, a train is coming so the RR bridge immediately beyond is closed so....wait.

Then, Bart who we'd met last night and who was going south called to say he was aground. We'd hailed him earlier because he was drifting into shallow water. So, we prepared to help pull him off the mud, David at the helm, me on deck securing dock line to be "pull" line. A bit cold but this is an emergency. First try and we got too close to running aground ourselves. Muddy water everywhere.
Second try from a different angle, our stern to his bow. Hey watch out for our inflatable dinghy that was being chaffed by the line. "I don't think we can help you," said David. "Do you have US Tow?" "No."  Third try from the other side of our stern. We got him off.

And the bridge opened. Run away!

Bart caught up with us at the Great Bridge Lock and, again, offered his thanks and a small gift of a tonic of some sort. We haven't read the details as yet.

He seems brilliant and/but much of the absent-minded professor sort. David visited on his boat that he designed, built and outfitted himself. Lots of mechanical great ideas that he has implemented David sail. But then he would travel too close to us and as we were coming into the marina here cut in front  of us as we were coming into the dock. It could have just been lack of attention, or attenting to other than steering. Thank goodness he traveled on while we stopped for.....

A valve adjustment. Really? Here? Now?

It was overdue and since the motor mount installation, which has nothing to do with engine valves but the mechanic had mentioned that they sounded "tight", David has worried. Okay, valve adjustment.

But wait. I forgot to remember that I was on the fore deck going into the lock, chopping skim ice with a fender. Actually using the fender as a "cow catcher", aka ice plow.

Oh, and I was on the foredeck after the lock chopping ice with a better tool, the boat hook. It was cold. My gloves were wet from handling the lines to pull Bart out of the mud. I will accept applause for NOT letting the lines dropped in the water get caught in the prop. Score one for me, three times!


From the photo you may deduce that David is in pilot house where it is marginally warmer. He did offer to switch roles but I like the outdoors. Duh.

So here we are past Norfolk, past the Gilmerton Bridge, past the Great Bridge lock, on our way through the Currituck Sound, to Coinjock and beyond to the Albermarle Sound and the Alligator River Bridge which will be repaired and open before we get there, given our many delays.

Again, I wonder about all the delays. Am I learning whatever lessons these have been put in my way to learn? Will I ever know if I've learned the lessons? Or will some other challenge show up? Am I just supposed to yell, "Uncle" and throw in a wet, soggy towel? Fly me to the Abacos! Are there boundaries I'm supposed to be setting? 

Some of our delay is totally due to the weather that is so very unusually cold, especially in the south. The amount of ice in Rebel Marina and in the canal has not been seen in decades according to people along our way. So the weather is one thing. But all our mechanical challenges, and rewards (Rebel and Mike, the mechanic), are troubling. Actually, the rewards are not troubling, they're delicious. And now we are cautioned to "stay in the center of the canal" because of low water. The north winds have blown the water out! And we've missed our best day (low winds) to cross the Albermarle Sound. Another window will come but, potentially, another delay.

And, to continue my whining, I've an incredibly tight trap muscle - probably a vertebra out somewhere down the line - and a stress in my right pelvis. Sniffle. Snuffle. Taking drugs: ibuprofen and Emerg-en-C and a looong nap after hot soup.

This photo reflects my mood. Spiky!  





No comments:

Post a Comment