Saturday, January 30, 2016

1/30/16    Saturday   Marco Island, FL


After a short stop in an expensive marina to top off our diesel fuel we left Ft. Myers Beach in our wake...retraced our pathway under the bridge and around the north end of Estero Island and into the open "ocean" of the Gulf of Mexico.

We were thinking to make directly for Key West since we had a two day weather window. That would mean simply dropping anchor somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico to spend the night. Now that would be a new adventure...and I'd girded my loins, gathered my nerve and/or submitted to ignorance of terror and was ready to float around an anchor out in the middle of Gulf of Mexico "nowhere".

Then we learned that weather was good for 3 days. So.....we (that would be David with me skidding along) could reconsider....everything. David also noticed that the route directly to Key West would put us anchoring in 40' of water. Nah, that just wouldn't work. Not enough anchor road. So, okay. Let's reconsider everything.

David's tendency (not a bad thing when on the ocean) is to gather and gather and gather information regarding options and options and options. My preference is to have 3 pieces of information and maybe 3 options and then DECIDE and stick to the decision. I grow impatient with the numerous considerations/options. Did I mention that I get snarky and short tempered? Really, I just get pissed off. No denying it. In the end, I appreciate the results and the carefulness. It is just the process that drives me up that veritable wall. So I huffed and David explained (roll my eyes, I was just mad!) why he was doing what he was doing.

With my blessings, and admitting it was a good idea, we motored into an anchorage on the backside of Marco Is around 3:00, an early day which allowed us to cook in the daylight, me to call a friend and have a long conversation, David to move an anchor to the aft deck, Amelia to have a walk on the foredeck. All good!!

We will have two long days of travel tomorrow and Monday and arrive, not in Key West (another decision after many options and much discussion and a good idea), but at Boot Key/Marathon to get ourselves on the waiting list for a mooring there. Then, perhaps, we'll motor/sail to Key West for a couple days. Or wait for Dick and Nora and travel there by car. Options.

Meanwhile, David and I enjoyed candle light dinner w/wine in the pilot house while watching night lights come on in the condos.
Sunset, backside of Marco Island, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment