Saturday, March 31, 2018

NASA

3/31/18 . Titusville

During past trips past the Kennedy Space Center we chose to not pay the entry fee and figure out how to get there. One hundred dollars is pretty steep for the two of us. The day was worth every penny of the admission price...$111 for 8 hours of entertainment, history, inspiration, propaganda, amazement, and plucked heart strings. 

Everything was immense. Everything is clean. Everything is well exhibited. Think Epcot Center with all the big screens, people ushered into enclosed arenas, (that was a bit scary in retrospect), the screen presentation on three sides and overhead, then the forward screen opens and you are ushered (herded in a polite fashion) into the exhibit area you just heard about.

There are all these real or models of rockets. This one is, blown apart so that we can see the innards and how they fit together and what each "stage" does. The explanatory writing about what I was seeing was terrific including the little "did you know" tidbits, none of which I remember now but I do remember being really impressed with several.

I'm pretty amazed at how much I quit paying attention to the space program after the crash of the Challenger and the success of the next flight. Still remember exactly where I was hearing that news.

I think this was part of the same rocket. The parts are sooooo large. So much cable and is that copper or brass or gold, that shiny yellow metal?

I did learn that a face shield in the astronaut helmets is gold for when they face the sun when working and another is more like our sunglass shield.

I was surprised at how many astronauts have been in space for the USA. Lots and lots since I quit paying attention. A number of women now and a smaller number of people of color, but gaining.





Not sure how this part fits with its mate and is that a fuel tank. I'll need another visit to get all the parts worked out.



Rockets aside...there is the Atlantis Shuttle that has now been retired, all the shuttles are retired (or destroyed: Challenger and Columbia).  These machines are tired but why have new ones not been created?

A change of direction for NASA and USA...now that the space station exists...toward more "deep space" exploration...Mars?

This craft is huge. I'd forgot that it is was attached to a LARGE rocket to get it into space.




Then it leaves its rocket behind and "flies," glides, really. It has an immense cargo bay that has taken parts that became the space station, plus food and experiments and probably toilet paper and water and maybe video games???  and satellites. That arm with Canada name on it is the "arm" that handles stuff, putting it out in space, keeping astronauts tethered when working....

My amazement continued for most of the 8 hours we were there. Only break was for beer and even that had a slim bottle that I'd not seen before. Didn't come up to "amazement" though.

I think the Atlantis info was the most unexpected. I really had checked out of space exploration by the time the shuttles were flying... And landing! Okay, let's see. They get to space on the back of a giant rocket, they glide/fly around getting tasks accomplished, then then fly back to Earth and land like a regular airplane. Then they - the crew and the aircraft - do it again!!!!



We learned that it took 12 years from concept to successful launch and return.

A favorite part for me was the simulation of taking off and separating from the rocket in the space shuttle. About 40 of us, including a timid/scared boy of abut 9) lined up on our own red dot on yellow lines outside 6 doors into the simulator theater. We set our behinds narrow seats similar to old warplane seats and buckled ourselves in. Five minutes we'd felt some "Gs", rattled around a bit, glided and were back on the ground. Better than my experience in western FL last year when we drove. Still only 5 min. I'd do that again in a minute. The timid boy survived.

Highlights and heart tugs for me: We started in an exhibit called "Heroes and Legends" that showed many different people, different ages and colors and cultures speaking about what/who is their hero. Many of the early astronauts, the names I knew, spoke and now look as old as I do. How did that happen? I loved hearing their comments and was in tears. I know I was equally effected by the music, that big orchestral, major chords stuff. The exhibit creators used music well throughout.

There was another teary event but I don't remember what just now. I think the magnitude of the dream of space travel for individuals, the hard work of mind and body discipline, the dedication to a goal, the respect for each others' skills, and camaraderie, maybe even more than the joy and satisfaction of accomplishment, plucked those strings. This may be especially true at this moment in my life when I don't feel that dream, discipline, dedication, camaraderie, personally.

The shuttle simulation. I love the physical sensation. I was disappointed that the screen in front of us didn't show what I expect the astronauts to see...blue sky? stars? Earth? horizon? Not sure what they see but we saw our host assuring us that all as well "for the moment" then there were flashing red lights and an alarm sounding. That was the Disneyland aspect, rather than the realistic, training aspect. I appreciate the necessity.

Perhaps this is one of our next generation space explorers...outer space as he already explores space. He and his family were lunch companions.

To conclude our visit we saw a 3D movie that showed Earth from space and people on/in the space station, lots of "home" movies of new people (astronauts) coming on to the space station to join or replace those who've been there 6 months, the respectful, cooperative, even loving relationships that were formed among colleagues who may never see each other again after they leave the space station, being from different countries and governments. That was another tug on my heart.

We three (Fordyce, David and self) chatted and chatted on our way back to the marina. Thank you Uber. And we were exhausted. We got to the marina and split up into our own dinghies and home to our separate boats.


I wanted some quiet time to absorb the day...my reaction to various sights, sounds, memories. Aft deck. Irish whiskey. A storm coming in from the north so it will be windy and cool tomorrow, maybe overnight. I could see rain...that fuzzy view of land contrasted with other clearly viewed land. The rain came slowly and lightly, no wind yet.

I remembered other light rains and quiet time to absorb my experience and "feelings"...sitting on my bed in first apartment in Manteo, NC, light sprinkle drifting in my window, loving the smell of wet warmth. Stacy will remember those days.

This quiet time was similar.

Loving the privilege of my life...with all its bumps and joys.































No comments:

Post a Comment