Sunday, November 29, 2015

11/29/15  Sunday

Amelia writes:

Well, my humans have finally settled into some sort of a routine. It's only taken them 2.5 months. They ARE slow learners...or slow to commit to something. I've had my routine from Day 3, latest...sleep, eat, sleep, stretch, ask for treats or food (if treats aren't available), sleep, demand a petting, walk on the deck early morning and late evening, roam around the cabin at night. I'm easy.

But my humans are incorrigible. Take today, for example. They were so excited to see dolphin and close to the boat. Nancy worried that she might run over them. Really!? Now dolphin are swell animals. We've seen them a lot in pods and as soloists. They act like fish in that they live in and apparently like water. They're big. They have a big fin and a big nose. But, you know. When you've seen one you've pretty much seen a dolphin. They aren't very different, one from the other, at least as far as I can tell. And, I think my humans are no more observant than I am.

And the birds - pelicans are a hit here on Grace and there have been a bunch of snowy white egrets. The female human, Nancy, told a story of seeing a flock of about 30 flying over our boat in Charleston harbor Saturday morning. And then there is the marsh, the sea grass, the low country with all the water and little islands and sunshine. And, again, the marsh, the sea grass, the low country with all the water and little islands and sunshine. Do you wonder why I sleep so much?

I've pretty much grown accustomed to the sound and the rattle of the boat. I'm still not excited to be in cities with all their unusual noises. Sometimes I look longingly at what appears to be the solid surface of a dock but really, what would that get me? A fish? And some panic-y humans. I have become more vocally demanding, and I've even taken things into my own paws and walked on the table or counter tops when the humans don't respond quickly enough. Early this morning I had to play w/female human's earring - the one in her right ear - to get her to get up to feed me.

Ah but they do pet me and let me sleep under the covers with them. And the food is varied enough that I don't get bored. And...we all do love each other. And they are taking me further than any of my predecessors have traveled before. Hey, for an elderly, trailer-trash cat I'm making out wicked good...wicked well.

Time for a nap.    Amelia

Nancy writes:

Gentle day of twisty, turn-y motoring. Warm. Bugs tonight. Almost to Beaufort, SC. Anchoring in Bass Creek tonight. A sweet thing - this afternoon our Charleston boat neighbor who helped us land on that awful Thanksgiving afternoon, Brian, hailed us, passed us then called back to alert us to some shallow water and a tricky turn, then stopped his boat to make sure we made that tricky passage successfully. Told us to call is we got in trouble, otherwise we'll see him in Beaufort.  I'm smiling. And grateful.

twists and turns
Not sure this will show up clearly enough but start in the upper right corner with the wide river and follow the magenta line to about center where there is a yellow/red marker, through the narrow vertical line into the skinny creek, then left to another narrow vertical line to the big curve w/yellow highlighter, through the skinny, skinny cut - Fenwick Cut- that dissects Fenwick Island into that big large intestine curve. That was typical of today's journey. Luckily, much of the water was deep - 16 - 20'.

joy in spite of the no-see-ums.


1 comment: