Saturday, April 23, 2016

4/23/16      Saturday              Deltaville, VA              A regular Saturday in the spring....


We slept until kitty totally insisted that somebody get up and give her some food. That would be me. So, kitty gets food, humans get coffee, some outside boat project as it was too wet to sit outside for coffee. Actually, I did sit out and David washed a rail.....or something.

We left in the Deltaville Yachting Center DYC loaner car for the Farmers' Market at the Deltaville Marine Museum where we dined last eve. I'd made a date with Penny just to say hello. Saw her and made a date for tomorrow when she will pick us up and give us a little tour of the area and her husband will help us look at weather, wind and waves, specifically.

Beautiful day for a Farmers' Market and visit to the Museum again. Sort of a festival day there. We walked to the waterfront and chatted with people about the museum boats, saw some crafts and I bought zucchini, strawberries and a coleus since mine from home are wilting away...maybe not enough nutrients in the dirt.

Back on the boat, a nap, reading, cleaning. David took another trip in the car. Amelia and I took a walk in the grass!!! She was antsy in the boat and needed an adventure. So, on with the harness and leash and out we went. She wasn't sure this was a good idea. I carried her off the boat and onto a wide dock. She crouched and explored carefully. I took her to the grass. She was much more at ease and greeted David when he showed up from his drive. Obviously recognized him and went over to where he sat down. We walked a bit further then headed back on the dock, Amelia walking along just like she always was on a leash...until we got to the turn for Grace. Then I picked her up the manage the more narrow dock. She had not walked on land since we visited Winston-Salem back in October and then it was only in the house. I'm surprised she wasn't shaking her feet with every step....saying "what is this?"

I'm enjoying this place. People are very pleasant and the land is familiar...flat, coastal, southern land. But I'm homesick a bit I think or maybe it is just spring fever. I want to sit on my land-based deck and dig in the yard rather than in the single, little flower pot. Talk to my peeps which the wimpy AT&T signal makes impossible. Maybe the true sense of being cut off from immediate communication with my friends and family is contributing to the feelings of displacement. Or maybe just tired of traveling. Somehow, all connections seem tenuous today.

Wait a minute! I'm reading a John Grisham novel, The Broker, and the primary character is disconnected from everything that is familiar. In hiding in a foreign country. Learning a new language. Knows no one. Hmmmm. I'm thinking THAT is part of, a major part of, my feelings of disconnect. And now I'm feeling a bit like the child singing the "Hello, Mudder. Hello, Fadder" song, complaining until the sun comes out and he asks them to "kindly disregard this letter."

Signs of spring here in Deltaville:
Buttercups

looking twd Grace
another view of yard



Grace from the yard above

Lounge where I write







Pool outside lounge not uncovered yet




As you can see this is not a bad place to be waiting out the winds and the strawberries are fresh. An osprey family keep us entertained and I saw a golden, gold finch bathing in a puddle today.

Ahhh, spring!










No comments:

Post a Comment