Friday, May 25, 2018

transportation, Freeport, ME

5/25/18 .  Freeport, ME

It all started with a dinghy ride and a brisk walk. Then the commuter train from Gloucester to Boston, the Orange Line and the Red Line from North Station to South Station. Then Concord CoachLines, then a car, another car, my feet and here I am.....at Lynne's house on Laver's Pond Road, just two houses down from my house. Ta Da!!!

I said goodbye to Amelia and David and I dinghyed to the other side of Gloucester Harbor. Had a lovely chat with Harbor Master, Chad, who helped us with directions to the Commuter train. A beautiful morning for a walk and Gloucester has such varied and interesting architecture. The train was a double-decker. I gave David a smooch, on the lips! something we'd not been doing since his virus illness. He's recovered enough and, besides, I am going to be away for at least 4 days. Full frontal smooches are required under these circumstances.

I totally loved the top deck of the double decker train. I loved looking out to sea through the islands we'd just passed yesterday on our way to Gloucester, but seeing them (sort of) from the land perspective. It was so GREEN! I've been obsessed and inundated with blue lately and on land there is so much spring GREEN. And flowers, colorful flowers. (I'm going to buy and plant some tomorrow!!!! And go to the Bath Farmers' Market if it isn't raining....maybe.)

I kept thinking about the train going underground for a long way but realized I was thinking of the commuter trains in NYC. The Boston bound train was underground only briefly. I exited into the subway station and, thank goodness, there are now "navigators" at the ticket vending machines to guide innocents like me. I could always R E A D the instructions and figure it out but how civilized to have someone ask if I needed help and then figure out what I needed to do - take the Orange line to somewhere, TownCrossing?, and trade for the Red Line to South Station. Piece of cake. The navigator put my money in the vending machine, gave me my ticket and two tokens. Tokens??? Yep. The vending machines give you your change in tokens. That must mean another trip to Boston in the not too distant future. Or else mail them to some friends going to Boston.

South Station. Bought my bus ticket. Stood in line and chatted with strangers and less strangers as it turned out. Talked with a woman who'd "helped" with David's campaign the first time he ran for the legislature. She'd done a numerology reading for hi and predicted he would win by a very close margin. That's how it happened.

Bus to Portland. Sharyl arrived to give me a ride to Freeport. Lunch together. Drop me at Shannon's where I petted the cats, checked their food and water and picked up mail and my car. Phew! Almost home. Food store and post office and.....stopped in our house to pick up the keys to Lynne's house, saw down the hill Sue who invited me to hotdogs over the fire pit on the beach. Perfect!

I unloaded the car at Lynne's, walked around my house but didn't want to explore too much, especially inside. First, it feels a little as if I'm invading our "renters" privacy even though both encouraged me to stay there as they are out of town. But, no. I also want to do that particular piece of re-entry with David. I'm noticing that it would be so very easy to fall back into exactly the same routine and habits we've developed at/in that space of our home.I'd like to interrupt that unconscious return to habits, would rather examine them more carefully and make a clear decision. Habits are good in that they often save time. If I put my glasses in the same place when I take them off, or the keys in the same place when I come home, then I'm less likely to have to search, high and low, for them each time they're needed.

But not all habits are helpful. Being gone from land home for six months gives opportunity to explore habits to keep and ones to release. Similarly, I loved going to Sue and Kris' for hotdogs. I rarely do that. Such fun to chat with them and daughter, Emily, and Kris's mom....Mrs Jennings. Post dogs I stopped at Landon and Mike's just to say hello. I could tell they were glad to see me. This re-entry stuff is....I'm being cautious. I could have gone to the last "Just Deserts" community concert. I love the band that is playing and I'd have enjoyed the music and the company but it is too soon to engage with a bunch of loved people. I'll take a couple at a time rather than the group.

Cautious. Looking for variety, maybe...something different than my regular habits. What I enjoy on the boat, among many things and aspects, is living with less, engaging differently with people. Not sure exactly what/how differently but...something. It is just too easy to do the same things I've been doing here on land for the past 5 years....being responsive to various groups Ive supported in various ways, seeing the same people but, often remaining only on the surface...maintaining a "position" with people. Hmmmm.

So now I'm in Lynne's house and will go in the morning to hang with Shannon's cats, maybe to the Farmers' market not to buy stuff but to look at the abundance, maybe get flowers there (?). Perhaps I will go into our house to get some work shorts and socks so I can plant and weed - my favorite things. Lynne's house is not comfortable. It has been vacant - abandoned, un-lived-in - for too long...dirty, dusty, moldy, refrigerator doesn't work and the water in the basement work sink can't be turned off when the water main is turned on. And I don't want to just start taking care of Lynne's house....again. And I appreciate its availability to me and to past visitors.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah.  Missing David and Amelia, pleased to see Sharyl and to "dine" with the Jennings and to be here, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment