Friday, February 9, 2018

Where, oh where?

Brunswick, GA

The days are folding in on one another. Not a bad thing just that I can't remember where we were and what transpired. But here we are today - Friday, I think - getting ready to leave Brunswick after two gentle nights here. But backing up a bit....




To the right we have the creative doodling of our gps, mapping the movement of Grace on her anchor overnight at Sapelo Island. I'm imagining lobster. In spite of the movement it was a pretty restful night after we finally got the anchor positioned.


The not-to-early-morning crossing the sound was NOT particularly gentle. I was at the helm and we were bouncy with wind against current and tide. Only about 45 minutes but enough for me to want to turn over the helm for awhile. Inside the ICW it was still windy and unexpectedly choppy through the morning. All calmed down and then there was a totally RUDE, totally dangerous, totally self-absorbed boater and his two buddies in a really big pleasure trawler barreling toward us. We'd heard a sarcastic "thanks for the slow pass, buddy" on the radio. And here he came throwing a huge wake and I'm not sure he even saw us. He certainly didn't respond to our radio calls to please slow. The times I want to have the Coast Guard around the corner and ability to ram another boat. The total disregard for another is everywhere. Aaaaarrrrgh.

As we came into the big bay/sound outside Brunswick I recognized the area, remembering that we'd come here in the almost dark and anchored on the north side of the bridge. Remembered being really nervous in this unknown anchoring territory...in the dark. No worries in the early afternoon.

We decided on Brunswick Landing Marina, relatively inexpensive diesel, good reviews, a bit "nickle and dimeing"  and lots of rules - 3 pages! - but lovely people. We planned an overnight and then to join boating buddies in Cumberland Island on Thursday. 


Beautiful bridge to get to our chosen marina












We watched something being loaded onto this ship as we entered the Academy River (Creek?). Later learned that it transported paper, from the mill across the way, and the big crane structure used suction to hoist the rolls of paper from the train to the ship. Very impressive, and that paper is still being made in the south even though production is so diminished in Maine.

I also remember driving through Brunswick as a child on the way to FL to visit grandparents and hating the paper production smell. That seems to be somewhat conquered now - the smell, not my smelling of it. But then the wind hasn't come our way from the mill either.




A beautiful old schooner, for sale by owner. Gorgeous woodwork on the outside and I'm told on the inside, too. A cool $1.6 million and its yours!






Took a walk downtown, almost downtown. I'm pretty confident we weren't in the most upscale area. S.H. Kress & Co is a blast from my childhood when I'd have lunch with Grandma Salmon when she met me after Saturday dance classes. Sweet memories now though I think I was always impatient with her. She didn't approve of my dancing, fear, I think, for my soul and the fact that Mother and she had some historical conflict that Mother, at least, held onto, coloring my own response to Grandma. One of my few childhood/adulthood regrets. Sigh.

Lovely people as boating neighbors and a "happy hour" provided by the dock. Our immediate neighbors are heading home to Charleston, SC this morning. Update: they're staying another day as the wind will be against them all day.




Wednesday we lost the "house" water and David took on repairing the pump/filter on Thursday. We'd been talking about "boat yoga" and here is an example. Not sure this will sell a book, though.

The faulty pump filter was repaired but by 1:00 p.m. we were ready to bag leaving. David was really tired after several hours of tight squeezes. Luckily I was there to pass tools and parts over his left shoulder.



Later in the afternoon he did the grocery shopping while....



...Mighty Mender (NOT) and I wrestled a curtain into existence. This cute machine is a piece of plastic shit. It is about as persnickety as could possibly be. The bobbin has to be adjusted specifically to be wound then to be installed and threaded. The tension adjustment is awful. The pressure foot provides little to no pressure. And I have to put my thumb between the tension control and the thread lifter to keep the lifter from pulling the thread off the tension dial.  It took more than an hour to get the cute machine to make a seam. Finally, success of sorts.
I decided to not through it overboard. Similar to not throwing the first computer out the window of the second floor of our house.


First viewing if Ibis. Must be close to Florida!











No comments:

Post a Comment