Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Playing...too much...not

Palm Coast, FL

Happy St. Valentine's Day!  We're about halfway between St. Augustine and Daytona. We'll be in Daytona tomorrow. We've had a fine day of Valentine's Day travel.

David and I made cards for our family. And mailed them today. I made a card for him when I realized he'd got a present for me....those chocolate goodies pictured. We're pretty relaxed about gifts to each other, feeling that we ARE the gift to each other and are living a really gifted life, daily, for the most part. Fun to finally do an "art" project that had no functionality.


It was still windy and foggy when we'd planned to leave this morning...so we delayed...part of David's more relaxed demeanor. We went ashore around 10:45, had a shower, got water, folded the bikes up and stuffed them into their stuff bags and loaded everything onto the dinghy. Not quite as much weight as 4 people but it was pretty crowded.

Back at the big boat we unloaded and I paddled the dinghy to Grace's stern to hook her up for lift off....the water. Connected all the lines and I climbed aboard. Then we hauled her up and secured her for the trip further south.  A gentle day except for an area around Matanza Inlet that we knew to be sketchy...and it still is. Our friends on Abigail Grace ran aground there yesterday and had to be pulled off. They and their boat are fine but it did slow them down. We talked, they advised, we apologized for not warning them since, had we been thinking ahead, we'd have remembered this is really a skinny and sketchy place. I'm remembering that we need to mention this to friends, Luke and Kasey, who are a couple of days behind us.

 
This is the baby horned owl from the free dock in Jacksonville several days ago, as promised.


I love St. Augustine. It is a FL city I think I could comfortable live in, at least the down town area which is old with sort of packed in houses and small yards.


After everyone who was going, left for groceries and propane yesterday afternoon, after the rental car came, I took the bike for a ride. I went up and down roads in the Lincolnville section that is maybe 3 or 4 blocks from the tourist area but very quiet and self-contained. Lovely, sometimes run down, little houses on little lots, all close together. I am charmed by this residential area that may soon suffer from gentrification. And I would love to help...keep it from being very different than now. It is a traditionally Black community. I'm very conscious of how those with more money "buy out" those with less who then have to move further away from "town."




I crossed King St., I think, into a more pricey, traditionally "white," part of town where Flagler College is located. Walked the gardens of this church where the Flagler family is entombed. Then went inside where someone was playing the big pipe organ. Tours available but I sat and listened and watched.


A magnificent church with 3-D crosses hanging overhead as light fixtures. Lots of stained glass windows which reminded me that an old beau and I had collected stained glass from an old dilapidated church near Manteo, NC years and years ago. The idea was that we'd make something or some things. Nothing was made as I recall.


Being inside was inspiring as is often the case for me with old religious/spiritual structures. A lot of creative energy - money and labor - went into creating this building and it continues to be imbued with lots of spiritual energy and awe. Is that the same? spiritual energy? awe? - Palpable.  I just sat and listened for a while then took myself on a small tour.  I suspect I was so touched by the spiritual space partly because of the book I'm reading, The Rose Labyrinth by Titania Hardia a mystery that concerns itself with the feminine foundations of contemporary and historic religious places.


Continuing my bicycle ride I was looking for the community that the van drivers from our previous visit lived in. Didn't quite find it but did find myself at the Fort then easily rode home. A sweet time alone with myself, exploring and loving the physical exercise. Delicious to be alone and on my own, reclaiming independence.

Ken, Luke, KaySone, David and I went out to dinner at a Chinese buffet. Delicious and inexpensive And they had ice cream.

Surrender and Abigail Grace and Sea Dyce (Fordyce's 44' Nauticat, Oriental acquaintance) left around 8:00 a.m. Tuesday. David and I gathered Luke and went on a driving adventure to Anastasia Island, across the Bridge of Lions. Breakfast, a walk on the windy and chilly beach were perfect. Luke suggested a tour of the lighthouse that he'd already done.



Perfect!

Except that it was foggy.


Our boats are out there somewhere. This view was from the top of the lighthouse, up 219 steps. I think there were closer to 600 steps and will research that tomorrow. I didn't have to carry the 20 lbs of oil for the lamp though.







           

                        The steps!















This herb garden was at the light keeper's house




We dropped Luke off at the Lion side of the Bridge of Lions bridge and David and I left for errands - UPS, groceries, a West Marine stop, pet store for composting toilet needs.



Back on the boat, dinner and bed. Such a delicious 2 days here in this really friendly city.

Resurrection Ferns on this old tree






No comments:

Post a Comment