Wednesday, April 11, 2018

More water!

4/11/18  Breakfast Creek, past Hell's Gate between St. Catherine Sound and Thunderbolt, GA

And not too far from Savannah though we don't plan to stop there this trip.




Blackbird singing on a rainy day. This lady or gent bird stayed on our other anchor (we were anchored and only bouncing with the winded waves) for about 20 minutes. I opened the pilot house door several times.  Still there. In addition to the joyful voice I loved how his/her tail splayed of contracted, a wind rudder helping Blackbird keep balanced.

As you can see, it continued to rain all day long. We did see a break in the clouds in the west near sunset.









(Last night's sunset after a long day of rain)

David and I made good plans with a couple of options last night, planning to go ICW to St. Catherine's. Going inside would be slow but we would be well positioned tomorrow to go outside in beautiful weather and calm seas.

But this morning....it was a beautiful day with calm winds and seas predicted so, as well. Sooooo...moderate our plans. Go out into the ocean!!! at the south end of Sapelo Island, past St. Catherine Inlet, miss Hell Gate (the GA one not the NYC one...yet), and come in where we went out earlier this year.

Out we went, both of us paying attention to charts, plotting mileage, wind, waves, course and course changes.


We finally looked up. I said "hungry" and from David "not feeling so well." I took the helm while he got some air. I got some ginger snaps!


We were out beyond the three mile mark, gentle and persistent rolls and wobbles. Both Amelia and David decided it might be best to become horizontal. Amelia fell right to sleep. David struggled with queasiness and discomfort and took cat naps, so to speak, Amelia. Not happy campers, either of them.

Me, feeling fine. I truly do believe my dance training, particularly the Limon style that has dancers swinging their torso and head, falling and recovering, has made me less inclined to get motion sickness.

David donned his life jacket and attached his life line and went out to check the dinghy which somewhat deflated, front end collapsed and taking on water in the rolling/crashing waves. He wanted to fix it. So I slowed to just enough power to keep the bow into the waves, the least uncomfortable position of a rocking boat. Hobby horsing is much better that rolling side to side.

David pulled the bow of the dinghy tighter and higher with an additional line after pumping some air in the closest pontoon. His new color was green. Dear man draped himself over the rail and just held on for awhile. The combination of motion and the exhaust fumes really did him in. He recovered somewhat and I donned my safety gear and went back with him to pump water out of the dinghy.

David was down for the count. He staggered between the rail and the settee. Amelia had already moved to the aft cabin where she buried herself in the blankets. They were both done.
Wonder Helms Woman, Nancy, continued our journey but only outside to St Catherine's rather than on to Ossabaw as first considered. David slept and Amelia hid most those 30+ miles.

I'm pretty proud of the way that I handled the boat, the navigation, the waves. Made decisions about how to guide the most comfortable (and safe) course through the waves. The winds that were supposed to be max 10 knots topped out at 15.5 causing larger roller waves. Best that my companions sleep!

I woke David when we were in St. Catherine Inlet to discuss whether to continue inside to Ossabaw Inlet or stop at St Catherine's. "Only 12 more miles and we have good water," I said. "Let's keep going," said he and went back to sleep.

Deep water. Rising tide. No worries. I was tired and delighted...to be handling the boat, to be "alone" with this beautiful weather and quietness and sun and having to pay attention to details and environment.....and crab pots.  Just now I'm remembering driving alone across the tops of mountains, probably in Tennessee from St Louis to Winston-Salem, NC. A similar feeling of pride in my competence and gratitude for the opportunity to gain and exercise that competence. The drive was my first solo, cross country night drive...me and the cat sitting on the back of the seat next to my head, green dash lights and moon skimming through clouds, fog in the mountain valleys. Very different circumstances, similar feeling of pride and gratitude....and careful to not get to cocky.

And by luck we were still at high tide as I took us through Hell Gate, a generally narrow passage of less than a half mile but shallow....except at high tide. Timed that one correctly.

David was awake and nervous and I wasn't about to ask if he wanted to take the helm. No way. Hell Gate is one of those notches on the bedpost...or gun handle....or something to write home about!

I did it!  David took the helm to go up river to this lovely spot we're anchored in tonight. I managed to boil potatoes and green peas for supper. No energy beyond that and David had no appetite anyway.  A VERY long day of about 11 hours under way, lifting anchor to setting anchor. Phew! Grateful....for solid boat, angels watching out for us, love that surrounds me.






Yesterday's sunset















Yesterday's Blackbird with wind-rudder
tail feathers splayed into a triangle.



Singing

As is my heart












1 comment:

  1. Dave must be proud that Nancy Captained the boat thru choppy waters while he nursed on a sea sick pill in the sack.!!!

    ReplyDelete