Friday, April 20, 2018

Bucksport Marina & RV Park

4/20/18

We're definitely making tracks....er, waves! And that's about all we're doing. No community building. No dinners out. No side trips or touristy trips or shopping trips. We're even running low on cat food but don't tell Amelia. We have lots of Greenies for her, just in case we don't see a food store soon.

We've had two amazingly windy and amazingly beautiful travel days and expect another tomorrow. We're in the ICW and boating long days of 6-8 hours. Often the current pushes in the proper direction so that we can average about 8 mph. Look out NASCAR.

So my back, sacrum injury is healing. The yoga classes I took at Lady's Island helped. Those classes also helped my "downward dogs", too. "Pull your pubic bone toward your sits bones," the teacher said when I asked her for words to help me get, on my own, the results I got when she pushed my pelvis. It was an amazing small adjustment of my weight that she made but I could NOT replicate it even though I could maintain the position. So, not lack of strength or flexibility. Just not words or image that would work for me. "Pull my pubic bone toward my sits bones," and "now press the outsides of your hips toward each other" and "pull your knee caps up" seemed to work. Wonder of wonders, I can do all those things and feel the small adjustment in my alignment in downward dog.

When I practice similar image and muscle work AND release the upper right glut muscle, I can help my pelvis level. All these years I've thought my right leg was shorter. Actually, two years ago I need some PT for a knee injury and the doctor measured my bones and said both legs were equal so....
Now I'm thinking that I may have just been hiking my right him a quarter of an inch. A bad, at least, unhelpful, habit developed for who knows what reason, and kept the habit even when it was no longer useful.    release.......Release......RELEASE1 damn it.   Not the same as "relax"

So that twingy injury I got from pushing the 10,000 lb boat away from the dock is going away with a little yoga and some stretches and some striding walks.

4/19/18  Yesterday we made our way through Elliot Cut and only had to wait about 10 minutes for the bridge to open at 9 a.m. We were early. We went slow because it is really a beautiful short canal between a river and the Charleston Harbor.


In preparation for the harbor crossing which I've known to be pretty violent, I tied EVERYTHING on deck down. I put EVERYTHING in the cabin as low as it would go (just like tornado warning advice) or in the sink or behind closed doors and hatches.

And look at that sea! Not totally smooth but those teeny weeny waves?!? Now that creature that is on top of the waves!!! Stay away. It looks to be some construction, earth moving machinery or something out of a science fiction movie.  The crossing was easy enough and, I hope, a new normal.



On the other side and in the ICW we were treated to houses of the rich and not quite as rich. This one is a favorite. Just the right size with lots of sun.





This smiley face, about 6' across, makes me smile every time I see it.

As we got more into the country, out of Isle of Palms area, the water became more shallow, skinnier.  We put out a sail since the wind was strong and gained about 2/10 mph. We passed one slightly larger sail boat. But pretty much stayed in view. As the day progressed that boat's captain called us to ask about water depth. That boat drew 6.5' so its keel was getting close to the mud some of the trip.  We called back the depths as we came upon worrisome shallows.

We called the marina in McClellanville to alert that we were arriving sooner than expected. What? No space? A power boat crew had gone to lunch and taken our place on the dock. Not that we really had a space. We made the turn into the creek anyway and said we'd just float and hope...that lunch would be over soon. Lacy, dock master, sent someone to the restaurant to see when they were coming back and if they were really going to leave. Yes. On their way.

So we docked with the help of the boat captains before and behind our final docking space. It was a tight squeeze masterfully handled by Captain David.

Lots of "thanks" and a walk into town. Similar in many ways - the large and old trees with their resurrection ferns and Spanish moss, narrow streets/lanes in most cases - to Beaufort, SC but a working town (shrimping) rather than more professional, more urban feeling, more wealthy feel of Beaufort.






An object of our walk was to get shrimp. David cooked us a delicious dinner of shrimp, naked shrimp and leftover pasta and leftover pork fried rice. International tastes!



This morning the birds were singing when I got up. Amelia and I had coffee and a lap sit in which she sits curled on my lap. It was chilly, 50 degrees is chilly for SC this time of the year. Long sleeves, long pants and socks! Warm sun but fierce wind from the north.

We were off and making waves again by 8 a.m.  Another day of just making time and distance. Familiar sights, places...the floating barge bridge that is always open unless a car wants to cross...the wide sweeping turn into the river that goes into Georgetown, the rice fields, the broad, broad Waccamaw River.


Cutest little school bus buzzing back and forth across the Waccamaw River. Noted on the chart as "the school bus ferry."


And now we're in Bucksport, SC for the evening. Had dinner at the local dockside restaurant, reasonable price and better than mediocre quality. We've each had our 2xs/week shower. Pretty ready to tackle the Rock Pile tomorrow.

Feeling totally blessed and privileged as we truly are. Now to my murder mystery book!

























No comments:

Post a Comment